Wednesday, March 28, 2007

'So, you're dreaming of being a f*ckin trackie?'

I guess it was only a matter of time before I hit the track. Maybe there is something in the water? Tonight was my second spin at Tempe velodrome. The previous week I arrived 30mins early. As I was sitting next to my road bike gazing across the velodrome an old guy came up to me and said ‘So, you're dreaming of being a f*ckin trackie?’. I didn’t know what to say but ‘Yes’. In my first week I just got used to riding a track bike and knowing the basic rules of the velodrome. I was fortunate to have Lindsay Monks as my guide. Riding up the bank for the first time was really trippy but within no time it felt second nature. This week I learned how to do sprints, ride in a paceline and stay on the rollers. The track is a lot fun but I’m not sure if I’d take it to the competition level. For roadies at least it’s a great way to learn how to do sprints and its also a good place to get some training in through the dark winter months. I’m surprised that so few roadies ever try it. However, this has not been the case with Dulwich Hill Bicycle Club where track riding has undergone a bit of a renaissance in the last year. I’m just the latest of a number of newbies who have joined the ranks of the f*ckin trackies.

No comments: