Sunday, April 15, 2007

My first race


Well, I finally made it to my first race after many delayed starts and rainy weekends. Before the race I wasn’t well prepared as I hadn’t been on the bike for a week and I had a sore knee from a bushwalking hike over the Easter long weekend. I had no idea what to expect but I found the pace of D grade quite easy. In fact I really wanted to speed things up a bit because I don’t like holding on the breaks. If a breakaway had have formed I would have definitely gone with it as I prefer to ride fast race rather than leaving it all to the final sprint. I sat and second and third wheel for almost the entire race until I followed Geoff on his cramp interrupted breakaway and was sprung to the front. For the reminding two and a half laps I would lead the race until the final straight. I was comfortable but I wasn’t feeling too good as the contents of my lunch (salmon on toast) were making themselves known to me. Leading the bunch was tactically stupid but I had no interest attempting to win the sprint. I was keen to first get a feel for racing and then work towards getting some good results in the future.

No comments: